STAR, Gateway and Youth Guarantee
STAR (Secondary Tertiary Alignment Resource) is an important grant used by Glenfield College to meet the learning needs of senior students that cannot be catered for within the traditional school curriculum.
By attending STAR courses or studying STAR funded subjects within the school students will hopefully have a better transition from school to further education or employment. Students will be able to explore their options and make more informed choices by being exposed to further study and employment opportunities.
The benefits of STAR
- Try out careers
- Learn skills used in the workplace
- Take short courses that contribute to a qualification
- Undertake work-related learning activities
- Experience practical, work-based learning
- Experience different learning environments
- Pay no course fees
Gateway. What is it?
Gateway provides long term structured workplace learning for senior students and is funded by the Tertiary Education Commission.
Students likely to participate are those interested in a particular career in a specific industry, or those students who wish to collect a wider range of skills than can be provided at school.
Local businesses are asked to provide a placement. Learning will focus on Industry Specific Unit Standards, so that the student may take a meaningful pathway toward a career in that area.
Students attend their work placement for one day per week for the school year and are given the opportunity to ‘trial’ their career choice.
Where can the students work?
Students are placed according to their area of interest. To date we have had placements in the following industries:
- Hospitality. Hotels, backpackers, cafes
- Building / Construction. Commercial and residential
- Office Administration
- Motor engineering
- Recreation. Gym, rock climbing
- Sport & Recreation
- Interior design
Benefits for the students
- Realistic experience of the workplace
- Student learn industry based skills
- Contributes towards their NZQA Record of Learning
- No costs to the students as government funded
- Gain valuable experience and knowledge
- Opportunity to blend study at school with workplace experience and learning
- Gain self confidence
- Enhance their probability of gaining employment
- Insight into working life
The Youth Guarantee provides 15-19 year olds more opportunities to study towards achieving NCEA Level 2, through programmes that make sense to them and have a clear pathway to further education, training and employment.
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015